Now that we’re offering frozen organic sourdough pizza dough for our deliveries I thought it would be great to have a blog post of how to use it!
Making great pizza at home is so fun, but can be a lot of work! I mean let’s be honest here as a bread baker and wood-fired oven owner people often ask me if I make pizza all the time. *Insert eye roll here* I wish I had time to make pizza all the time, but really I don’t. It was only after having a pizza party last spring and had leftover dough that we froze it. We pulled it out later and used it to make pizza and it was SO EASY!
Make your own pizza!
-One dough makes a regular home size cookie tray worth of thin crust pizza
- Take your pizza dough out of the freezer the night before using and place in fridge. OR take it out the morning of use and leave it on the counter.
- Chop up your toppings first-have them all ready to go before dealing with the dough.
- Preheat oven to 450-500F, pretty much as high as your oven will go!
- Prepare a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment.
- Brush or rub olive or avocado oil onto the parchment paper.
- Dust a clear counter space with flour.
- Turn your dough out of the bag onto the flour and dust the top with flour. Dust your hands with flour as well.
- Use your hands to press down and flatten the dough and then start pulling it out. It will stretch quite a bit. Try to do this evenly, moving in a circle around the dough so your dough doesn’t get thin spots.
- If your hands are sticking to the dough add a bit more flour.
- Once your dough has been stretched out almost the size of the cookie sheet, grab it with two hands and transfer quickly to the tray.
- Keep pulling and spreading gently on the dough so it takes up the whole space of the cookie tray.
- Time to add the toppings! I like to brush the edge of the crust with oil as well.
- Place in oven and leave for 10-15 minutes.
- If you want a nice crusty bottom I recommend carefully pulling the pizza (with the parchment under it) ff the tray and directly onto the rack. Make sure there is not too much oil on the tray as this will drip and burn in the oven.
- Check pizza again after 5-10 minutes. Take it out when it’s reached your desired doneness!
- Cut up and enjoy!